As the Army Air Corps acquired more closed-cockpit planes, there arose the need for a warm flying jacket that was not as heavy or bulky as the B-3. In response to this need, they developed a medium- weight shearling jacket, designated the B-6. The B-6 was similar in appearance to the B-3. The most apparent difference was its less substantial collar, with one buckled closure strap, and its trimmer fit. The shearling was still visible at the cuffs and waist, but the pile was much thinner (usually only one-fourth inch deep as opposed to the typical one-half inch for the B-3. It was dyed the same seal brown color with a lacquer coating, had two flush-sewn slash pockets on the front, zippers or straps at the cuffs, but lacked the B-3's full-length wind flap behind the zipper. B-6s were not really warm enough for high-altitude use by bomber crews, but were warm enough (and trim enough) for use in the marginally heated cockpits of some fighters. And, like the B-3s, they were most often seen on the backs of ground crews working on the planes.
You may also be interested in the following product(s)
Regular Price: $995.00
Special Price: $795.00
Regular Price: $895.00
Special Price: $745.00
Regular Price: $845.00
Special Price: $695.00
Regular Price: $1,195.00
Special Price: $995.00
Items 11 to 12 of 12 total
Jacket has received many compliments Review by Vern Lei (March 2007)
I have received my jacket and am enjoying it very much. i never thought i would hope for cold weather, but the last few days have been chilly and excellent custom b6 jacket weather. your jacket has received many compliments and i am pleased with the quality, workmanship and custom modifications like the fore arm pocket. thank you for the excellent work. (Posted on 7/23/2010)
Truly impressive work Review by Bernard Gowen (March 2006)
Received the repaired Avirex B-6 jacket and I am very pleased with your repair/tailoring.
The elbow patches are excellent and the sleeves now fit me perfectly.
The quality of your work is truly impressive.
Thank you for your help.
Bernard Gowen (Posted on 7/23/2010)
Items 11 to 12 of 12 total
- Excellent Product Review by KDH
- Purchased the garment for my son. After owning multiple 3 season coats got tired of the generic look and the inconsistent warmth and weather resistance in spite of the companies describing them as "weatherproof.". The leather finish, workmanship, fit and attention to detail are excellent The service was quick and painless and most importantly, the sizing recommendations are accurate. My son has a 38 inch chest with an athletic build and the 38 size fit him perfectly. I strongly recommend this garment to anyone looking for a 3 season jacket. My plan I to purchase one for myself as soon as possible. (Posted on 2/19/2014)
- Excellent quality Review by Paul Smith
- Received the B-6 jacket last week, but have not had a chance to fly with it until yesterday. The B-3 I have is too bulky in an L-4 cockpit, and the B-6 I just received is just right. It's very warm at altitude and allows complete freedom of movement to reach the controls and to keep turning around to watch for other aircraft. I am completely satisfied with the product. It is very well made, fairly priced and I had it within a week of placing the order. Well done! (Posted on 9/9/2013)
- This jacket is excellent Review by gaarde
This jacket is excellent. One email & timely response was all it took to get the correct size. The fit and workmanship are superb. There have been many complements, and I've recommend your products to any that are interested purchasing a flight jacket. Your web site is easy to navigate & informative. Shipping was fast & the UPS tracking was right on.
The temperature has been down to the low twenties/upper teens at night. This jacket definitely keeps the cold out.
Great job. Thank you for a great jacket. When I'm in the market for an A-2 jacket I'll contact you.
(Posted on 12/25/2010)