The G-8 jacket (the stock jacket in the image is made of medium brown goatskin) was introduced into the service in the late 1920's as the official flight jacket of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corp flyers. The details on this jacket were an inspiration for many famous designs introduced through the movie industries.
But only one jacket is true to the original with all its fine details which includes: Double gussets under each arm provided for ease of movement in places which had notoriously small cockpits. Two large single-entry (double-entry available for no extra charge) button flap pockets, with radiused lower corners and a gently curved flap. Diamond shape patches on the arms, for double protection in the small cockpit. Side panel with strap and tab for better fit adjustments. Zipper-cuffs provides a snug fit that required in order to block cold winds in the open cockpit. Heavy duty #8 brass zipper, and wind-flap with the "USN" perforation. 100% Bemberg rayon lining will keep you warm in the air and on the ground (Thinsulate layer is available).
Items 11 to 18 of 18 total
Fantastic jacket Review by Phillip Filardi
Just wanted to let you all know I just got my order. Its fantastic! Thanks so much for having it in a size 36. Bike, plane, car or horseback, or happy hour, I will have the classic "mother of all flight jackets", and certainly the only of its type in my circle (for now anyway). Thanks again, thats two great jackets you guys have sold me. Can't wait to wear it. Loyal customer. (Posted on 7/22/2010)
Great jacket Review by Gerrit Brand
The jacket already arrived and I must say: it is great! I am very enthusiastic about it. So thanks for the great service and if ever I want something like it, I'll buy it from you. (Posted on 7/22/2010)
Fits great and looks great Review by Robert Gardella
I've owned my G-8 for over a year now and I love it. The leather is incredibly supple and with the Thinsulate lining, I can wear it even in the coldest weather. It fits great and looks great. I'm looking forward to long years of use. (Posted on 7/22/2010)
Fits like a glove Review by Tim & Carol Bottoms
I just had to write to praise the 2 jackets we ordered in late June. Carolâ€™s Indy Jacket fits her like a glove and my G-8 is fabulous; I love the russet horsehide. I work in a museum and we recently had a textile conservator in to survey our flag collection. Previously, she had conserved the museumâ€™s World War II A-2 that belonged to a local P-51D Mustang ace. When she mentioned that she missed having that jacket in her workshop, I mentioned the two leather jackets we had just received. Bringing them in the next day, she praised the quality of the leather and workmanship and asked for your website address so she could look into ordering a jacket for her husband. I also want to thank you for the hospitality shown us when we visited your business to order our jackets. All I can say is that I am very much looking forward to cold weather and the chance to break in my G-8. Thank you for giving me to opportunity to own a flight jacket like no other in town (or probably in the state)! (Posted on 7/22/2010)
My most treasured piece of clothing Review by Norm Nelson
I want to thank you for the custom G-8 that you made for me. The sizing could not be more perfect. This is now my most treasured article of clothing, the look and feel of the leather, the one- piece back, zippers, and side entry pockets are great. I feel as if I am wearing a piece of aeronautical history, even though it is now my motorcycle jacket. U.S. Authentic is the epitome of American entrepreneurship and most importantly: Craftsmanship. To the average "Joe" the price might seem high, but you might end up buying two or three $150.00 cheap split-hide cookie-cutter flight jackets, and never be happy, so why not buy ONE. After all, if I can't get an original (especially in the case of a leather G-8), I will settle for the next best thing, your G-8. I can't thank you enough. (Posted on 7/22/2010)
All I can say is "wow" Review by Chris R.
I received the G-8 jacket that I ordered today-all I can say is "wow!" Your work is first-class. This jacket has easily become my favorite already. I know that I'll get a lot of use out of it. The only thing that I wasn't expecting were the side-entry pockets. I didn't specify, but I thought that these wouldn't be there unless I said to put them in. Is it possible to have you guys close them at a later date, if I so decide? I just really can't part with the jacket now :) Obviously, US Authentic is right up there with any of the premier jacket makers. You have obviously put a lot of thought and effort into creating an authentic, quality replica, and it shows. I am so happy with this purchase! I have to admit, spending the money that I did was a difficult decision to make, but I have NO regrets. I know I'll have this jacket for many years, and through many adventures. Thanks so much!
(a follow up email, couple of weeks later)
Just a quick note to say that I've had time to fully evaluate the G-8 I received, having had the chance to wear it often during the past few weeks. The jacket is just incredible! I chose you guys because I thought that the styling (simple and classic) was more in keeping with the spirit of the original than many other G-8 repros out there. What I wasn't sure about was what the quality would be. The goatskin on this jacket is first-rate. It's thick and supple, and feels rugged. I have no worries wearing it in any weather condition, and it works for a wide temperature range, as well. The lining, hardware (real horn buttons!) and details are great. It was nice to see such things as a button-reinforcement for the sleeve buttons, and a more authentic nipple-type snap for the inside pocket. Also, this was the only G-8 on the market with "USN" punched through the wind flap, which lends authenticity to a classic flight jacket. All in all, I am tremendously pleased with the jacket, and happy with all the help you gave me in completing my purchase. While I think I will probably send the jacket back to you at some point to have the side-entry pockets closed, I just can't part with it just yet-it's become too much a part of my everyday routine. Thanks for a great product! (Posted on 7/22/2010)
Worth every penny Review by J. A. Sharbel
I searched for more than seven years for an authentic replica Navy G-8, so you can imagine my delight in finding your extraordinary example. While the price my seem high to some consumers, I can attest first hand, that the jacket is worth every penny. The US Authentic G-8 is a high quality product, coupling fine workmanship with bullet proof materials. The jacket is beautifully crafted and well suited for year round motorcycling here in the rather cool Monterey, CA climate. The heavy weight, but supple goatskin took only a few weeks to break-in and has all the characteristic indicatitive of a long, functional life. I will cherish my jacket for many years to come. (Posted on 7/22/2010)
Finest quality piece I have ever purchased Review by Henry Stowe
At first, I thought I was going to return my jacket because I wanted to exchange it for a one with the Thinsulate lining. I have decided that G-8 jacket is the finest quality piece I have ever purchased. I would recommend your firm to anyone in search of a fine quality jacket made in the USA. That is the reason I bought from you in the first place. As money permits, I'll be buying more. Keep it up and keep it here! (Posted on 7/22/2010)
Items 11 to 18 of 18 total
- Fantastic Find! Review by Tom
- The 440 rules! I received my 440/G-8 jacket and I am more than pleased! Some makers do not offer this jacket with a one-piece back, but US Authentic does. This and the price are what sold me. The workmanship, leather quality and attention to detail on this jacket are AMAZING!! At first, I was unsure about how evident the zipper is when the jacket is zipped, but now, I have come to like it. Oh, and if you are not used to a wind flap on the inside, be aware there is one. If you want, you can fold it back when you wear the jacket open. The zippers and the other elements combine to give this jacket a "flight jacket come motorcycle jacket" sort of vibe. You can move easily from the open cockpit to your Indian and never remove your flight jacket! I opted for the seal brown, rather than the stock medium, as US Authentic will also provide this as a custom order,. I wear a 40 and the fit is perfect! It fits like a glove over a flannel or qxford shirt with good upper body movement. And this baby is heavy and built like a tank! There is a little room for your belly at the bottom, if you have one. I didn't need it and took the straps in a bit for a perfect fit. No bagging! All in all, this is one bada$$ jacket, although I would not wear it for dressy occasions. For general wear and going out at night, its perfect! If I had to have one criticism, it would be the way the hang strap is sewn into the jacket. It is neatly done, but the sewing is visible on the outside back of the jacket below the collar, but just barely. The thread is a perfect match and so is almost invisible. All in all, this is one great jacket! (Posted on 11/17/2014)
- Great Jacket! Review by Spike
- Hi to all those at flight jacket.com. I just received my G 8 custom made jacket. This is a true work of art! Thank you to all of the craftsmen there. I sent my motorbike jacket and they matched it up. Nice Job! I had an imprint put on the back. I have had several comments already. When I took it across the border and paid the taxes, the customs guys were all over it. Several guys tried it on and took down information on where it came from so they could check into jackets themselves. This is a great fitting, great looking, and great smelling jacket. Worth every penny. Mike Christensen Keewatin, Ontario (Posted on 11/30/2013)
- Awesome Custom Made G-8 in Seal Brown Horsehide Review by skysurfer808
- I just received my G-8 custom ordered flight jacket in Seal Brown Horsehide, and have to say I am absolutely amazed by the quality of its construction, and its fit on me. This is now absolutely my favorite article of clothing I have ever owned. Your customization has resulted in a jacket I have always wanted which fits me just about perfectly. Finding the right leather jacket has always been an issue for me, as I have never been able to get just the right fit, but thanks to your help with my order I now have a gorgeous leather coat that fits like a glove. (Posted on 10/2/2013)