- Far superior to any other A2 jacket Review by Julian A. Lloyd
First of all, many thanks for the superb custom A2 russet horsehide jacket you made for my wife to give to me for my 40th Birthday on 12th March. It got here to the UK in time for my birthday, and I wore it for the first time to go out to lunch with my wife. I'm absolutely delighted with it, the fit and finish is excellent, and the inside pockets are just right for my wallet and mobile phone. It's far superior in quality to any A2 jacket that I've seen over here in the UK, and although of course it's not cheap it seems very good value indeed to me, and certainly not more expensive than some of the less painstakingly authentic items that I've seen here.
I do have one question, though. Is it usual in the USA for the moving pull-up sliding part of the zipper to be on the right hand side of the jacket? Here in England it would always be on the left side, so I'm a little clumsy fastening it up at present, as over here we're used to holding the bottom of the jacket with the right hand and pulling up with the left. Just a question of getting used to it I suppose! The main thing, though, is that it looks great (I'm sure it will be better still with a bit of wear) and is just what I wanted. Thanks very much indeed. (Posted on 7/21/10)
- Jacket keeps getting better Review by Mike Pope Burleson
I received my Goatskin A-2 jacket yesterday, UPS made good time. The jacket is great. I really appreciate your patience and great customer service. Before ordering this jacket as I mentioned to you, I got very interested in the A-2 after visiting some of the websites. It has become somewhat of a hobby now, I have even purchased one of the books written on the A-2. As far as I can tell, this jacket holds very true with the original A-2's, of course I am no expert, but the color of the lining, collar stand and collar, epaulet widths, pockets positioned further toward the back, and the snaps appear to be true to the originals. I think my next purchase from you will be the horsehide A-2 next year probably. Thanks Again.
(second email couple of months later)
I couldn't tell you how or why, but this Goatskin A-2 I purchased from you just keeps getting better looking and better looking the more I wear it. Ha...just came to me, must be the quality. Great jacket. Thanks. (Posted on 7/21/10)
- Beautiful Review by Ken Karhuse
- Just received the custom A-2 jacket in horsehide vintage brown you made for me. What a beauty! The best. (Posted on 7/21/10)
- Worn with pride Review by Robert H. Anderson
- Many of my friends in aviation (DOTD) have A-2 jackets and I have wanted one now for 3 years. I received one for Christmas from my wife. The first cold morning I wore it to C.C.'s, a local coffee house. There set a group of men, that I didn't even know, having coffee and they all turned and spoke to me,..."Hi...how ya doing?". I have to tell you a sense of pride came upon me. Every where I went that day ,people that I didn't even know, spoke. I felt like I was representing the men who fought for our country and the freedom that we have today in America. I would proudly stand and defend our great country as our forefathers did in WWI and WWII. I wear my A-2 with pride. (Posted on 7/21/10)
- Outstanding Review by Robert C. Eddy
- I ordered my A-2 horsehide by telephone Sunday night and received the jacket on Thursday. Pretty impressive. The jacket is outstanding. The staff at U.S. Authentic is also very helpful. (Posted on 7/21/10)
- Fits like a glove Review by Manfred Rahmsdorf
- The jacket I ordered from you came today and it fits like a glove! Really a good piece - the comments of your customers on your homepage were true. Good chance to get myself another jacket for colder days possibly soon. (Posted on 7/21/10)
- Quality is outstanding Review by Todd Escandon
- I want to thank you for the fine customer service that you provided to me. I ordered a Horsehide A2 and received it promptly. The quality of the jacket is outstanding and the fit is perfect. However I changed my mind and decided I would prefer the Goatskin A2. I contacted US Authentic and talked to one of your very courteous people who helped me out. I returned the jacket and very promptly received the Goatskin jacket. I am very happy with the new jacket, it is perfect in every way. It is refreshing to deal with a company such as yours. Thanks again. (Posted on 7/21/10)
- Beautiful jacket for a reasonable price Review by Stephen Arlt
- I've just received my new A-2 ! I must tell you that I am very pleased with it, it fits me perfectly even with a woolen sweat-shirt, thanks to the measurements I had sent you on your web page. This is my first A-2 and I am sure to have made the right choice: I've got a beautiful jacket for a very reasonable price. Who could ask for more ? In addition, being a member of the B-17 Sally B Supporters Association (Swiss Branch), I look forward to wear my A-2 on the first occasion to come ! Thank you again for your help, understanding and kindness. (Posted on 7/21/10)
- Good product Review by Lt. Col. Paul R. Jones
For years the only A-2 source I knew of was Avirex. I bought one of their original 1978 jackets. I ordered a size 40 but they sent a 44. It was way too large but the workmanship was excellent. Particularly the heavy cotton stitching and its spacing was superb. The steer hide was heavy and handsome. The epaulets were not too wide and the box stitching was small and squared off. I washed the jacket and threw it in the dryer. It shrunk enough for me to wear, but over the years I outgrew it. I ordered other A-2s, a B-3 and B-15s from Avirex but their quality clearly dropped over the years and their jackets were always too dark in color anyway. By the 1990s I had to wear a 44 and suck in my breath or order a 46 and wear a heavy sweater under it. I was, quite frankly, dissatisfied with Avirex. I recently read comments on an A-2 web page by a serious A-2 collector who rated Lost World, The Real McCoy and Eastman ahead of yours. I thought you might like to here my comparison of your U.S. Authentic A-2 with two of these company's jackets.
I bought a Real McCoy (the New Zealand outfit) A-2 jacket around 1993. It cost $300.00 (U.S.). Plus I had to pay $30.00 customs. I ordered a size 44. It was perfect in color and had the Army Air Forces logo (I had asked for it) on the left sleeve, but their 44 was way too small. I gave it to my son. After two years or so the McCoy had not fared well. The knit cuffs and waistband had frayed and torn and the leather coating had deteriorated badly in the main wear areas. But my son had not put the jacket under a great deal of stress. I've got a friend who's had an Eastman A-2 for about three years, and said he paid around $750.00 for it and quite frankly it looks awful. It is nearly worn out. All the cuffs and waist band wool are worn through with holes and the lining is ripped and torn. The outer shell looks worn, not aged.
I found your A-2 purely by chance while surfing the net last summer and liked the look and price. The russet brown was what I've wanted for years and you advertised veg. versus chrome or drum tanning. I ordered it and have just now, because of the weather, been able to start seeing some of the newness wear off, but it certainly does not appear that your A-2 isn't strong enough to stand reasonable wear and tear. The only trouble is, with the McCoy 44 being so small, I ordered yours in a 46, and it swamps me. But I love it too much to send back.
I have one question for you though. After having a leather name tag sewed on the left front of the jacket at a shoe repair shop, I noticed a black scrape mark on the jacket (probably made while the guy was pulling the jacket around under the sewing machine). When I attempted to clean the spot with a leather cleaning liquid, the area turned black! I checked the inside of one of the pockets and it is clear that the jacket skin is brown below the surface tanning. What do you suppose made the surface of the skin turn lack like that? I was able to make a repair by buying a chocolate colored shoe touch up spray. The area is a bit shinier than the rest of the skin. Any suggestions for matching it all back up? This worries me. Is this jacket going to fade to a darker color over the years? (US Authentic comment- We strongly recommend that you have any repair done by us; you get a lifetime warrantee on the leather)
Overall, I'd say you have just as good a product line as the bigger boys. I'll keep you posted. Also, I'm considering ordering a 44R so I can have one to wear when I only wear a shirt. Have you narrowed your shoulder epaulets? That seems to be a universal criticism you've received. (US Authentic comment- yes we did, currently our stock A-2 jackets have epaulets width of 1 7/8" at the sleeve side tapering down to 1 1/2" at the neck side) Otherwise, What I've got looks good. And are you going to offer jackets with the Army Air Forces logo shoulder transfer? (US Authentic comment- We offer the AAF emblem hand painted or embroidered). (Posted on 7/21/10)
- Brings back memories Review by Chuck Salzenstein
- I was very pleased not only to receive the jacket so promptly, but with the fit, appearance, and workmanship. I am sixty eight years old and no longer able to fly, but wearing the jacket will not only keep me warm, but will also bring back many fond memories. (Posted on 7/21/10)